In this series of introductory blog posts, we're going to give you an introduction to the SparkBridge One IoT data logger. To get started, we'll provide an overview of the hardware and what it can do for you.
SparkBridge One is an Internet of Things (IoT) end point and data logger. It collects data from a variety of devices, logs it to internal memory, and sends it to the IoT platform of your choice. With the SparkBridge cloud service, your data and all of the functions of the data logger will be available on your phone, anywhere in the world.
We built SparkBridge One with three primary design goals in mind:
- Simple to setup and use: designed for the non-technical person to setup and use.
- Multi-industry, multi-application: adaptable to fit the users niche
- Affordable: reduced complexity means better functionality at a lower price
In this post and the ones to come, you'll see how we achieved those goals.
This is the basic SparkBridge One IoT Data Logger Kit. Includes the SparkBridge One data logger, WiFi antenna, DIN rail mount, and power adapter (not shown).
Let's break down it down:
- WiFi Antenna: A small, removable WiFi antenna is included. It can be replaced with an extension cable and weatherproof antenna for use on the outside of an enclosure. Inexpensive SMA antennas and cables are widely available, or contact us and we can help.
- USB Button: Press the USB offload button to instantly download your logged data to a connected USB flash drive. SparkBridge One is an IoT device at heart, but there is no substitute for having a local copy of your data. The on-board memory stores your data for years and can be retrieved instantly without a computer, phone, or internet connection.
- USB Type-C Port: SparkBridge One is the first data logger to include the new Type-C USB port. It’s smaller, more reliable, and you don’t have to worry about plugging it in backward. We offer combination Type C / standard flash drives to make the transition easier.
- Ethernet Connector: An RJ45 Ethernet connection gives you the flexibility of a high reliability wired connection.
- Earth Ground: SparkBridge One includes lightning/surge protection on all input lines.
- Input/Output Connectors: The input/output connectors are removable screw terminals for easy installation. The connections include:
- 12VDC power input
- 12VDC power output
- 24VDC loop supply output for 4-20mA applications
- RS232/SDI-12 port
- Two open collector outputs
- Three universal analog ports (0-5VDC, 4-20mA, pulse, thermistor) selectable for single ended or differential measurement.
- DIN Rail Mount: Removable DIN rail mount, perfect for industrial applications.
You can't see it in the picture, but temperature and barometric pressure sensors are built into the data logger. Freebies to get you started.
You don't need much. We include a power adapter, but you'll need to supply the power and a smartphone for configuration. Everything else is optional.
Power up SparkBridge One and follow the instructions to get your phone connected. You can immediately start collecting temperature and pressure data or connect your own sensors.
To send data to the cloud, you'll need either WiFi or an Ethernet connection. You can always download data to a flash drive even without an internet connection. If something goes wrong in the cloud, your data is still safe.
Setting up the hardware is simple, but using the app is even easier. In an upcoming Part Two of this tech note we will discuss how to configure and use the SparkBridge phone app.